Medical tourism has been around for quite a while now. With health treatment getting expensive by the day, it has become more common globally. There are several reasons why patients prefer to travel abroad to avail global health services such as the cost of treatment they are immigrants and prefer getting treatments done in their native country, the treatment is not available in their home country and many more.
There are numerous health and wellness center that offer international patient care. From air ambulance to post-discharge care plans, a health and wellness center takes care of it all. Some hospital packages even provide assistance with visas, hotels, teleconsultations, sight-seeing, and much more. Medical tourism has now become an active part of the healthcare industry. However, there are several risks that can be causes of concern for individuals seeking international patient services. It is advisable to take note of the below-mentioned tips to ensure your safety and proper health treatment.
- If you plan to seek international patient care, you must connect with a health and wellness center at least four to six weeks before deciding on your travel plans. This way, you will get ample time to inquire about their treatment plans, risks involved in traveling and treatment, and all the general information.
- You need to make sure you are fit for traveling at least one week prior to your flying date and have your medical conditions in control and stable. You must stay in active contact with your healthcare provider and be prepared for a worst-case scenario.
- It is imperative to note that not every country has the same standards and regulations when it comes to healthcare. So, you need to ensure that the doctor performing your health treatment is qualified, the staff assisting with the procedure is qualified and holds up the acceptable standards, and the healthcare facility is hygienic. There are several bodies that offer accreditation, such as the International Society for Quality in Healthcare. So, you can check if the healthcare facility of your choice is accredited or not.
- Ensure that the health and wellness center or healthcare facility provides you with a written agreement entailing every necessary detail about your treatment and trip. The agreement should include the cost, supplies, care, and an undertaking of providing you with proper treatment.
- Suppose you are traveling to a country with a different native language. In that case, you need to arrange for proper communication channels that will help you communicate with the doctor and other people in charge of your care.
- Carry with you all the documents pertaining to your medical condition at all times and inform the doctors about any allergies or other medical conditions that you may have.
- If you are looking forward to availing international patient services, you must also have a backup and follow-up plan in place before you leave. So, get in touch with your local healthcare provider and have them set up a care plan.
- The final and most crucial aspect of international patient care is that you need to bring home all the documents you were provided with by the healthcare facility. Your medical records are crucial and will help your doctors understand your situation better in case you are faced with a medical emergency in the future.
Medical tourism has come as a boon to humankind; however, it is also accompanied by a few banes. But, if you keep the checklist mentioned above in check, you will be able to ensure proper health treatment for yourself.