The game of baseball has been around for a very long time now, and many of the things that can be said about it also apply to life in general. Throughout the years many people have compared this particular sport to life, drawing numerous parallels between the nature of the game and life itself.
From Ty Cobb to Babe Ruth, there have been many talented and wise people who have brought this game to a whole new level. Sometimes quotes that are about baseball can have a profoundly different meaning for a lot of people.
Those who love the game of baseball will find these quotes to be moving and inspirational. Once you start reading some of these quotes, you will quickly discover just how much in common this sport has with life.
20 Inspirational Baseball Quotes About Life
1. “Baseball is a lot like life. It’s a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life.” – Ernie Harwell
2. “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” – Bob Feller
3. “Baseball is more than a game. It’s like life played out on a field.” – Juliana Hatfield
4. “Just because you’re down to your last strike, you’re not out yet. You can always do more. You’ll always have more at-bats to take. That’s true in baseball, in rescuing animals, and in life, generally.” – Tony La Russa
5. “There are three types of baseball players: Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happens.” – Tommy Lasorda
6. “I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don’t think about it is when I’m playing it.” – Carl Yastrzemski
7. “Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it’s business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You’ll be an old man before you know it.” – Al Lopez
8. “To me, baseball has always been a reflection of life. Like life, it adjusts. It survives everything.” – Willie Stargell
9. “That’s one of the great gifts of this, the greatest of all games, baseball: it allows you, still, to lose yourself in a dream, to feel and remember a season of life when summer never seemed to die and the assault of cynicism hadn’t begun to batter optimism.” – Mike Barnicle
10. “My dad’s a bodybuilder. My whole life I’ve been taught to train the hard way. I believe in earning strength, not buying it. My grandfather raised me old school: In baseball, you work for whatever you get.” – Gary Sheffield
11. “For many in baseball September is a month of stark contrast with April, when everyone had dared to hope. If baseball is a lot like life, as pundits declare, it is because life is more about losing than winning.” – John Thorn
12. “Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain.” – Paul Auster
13. “Set your baseball goals high and don’t stop till you get there.” – Felicity Luckey
14. “I have goals and ambitions, and I see myself as a lifelong baseball student. I have certain philosophies that I’d like to test at some point at the big league level. The job of manager appeals to me, a coach appeals to me, at a different time frame.” – Cal Ripken, Jr.
15. “My whole life was spent doing things that people didn’t believe were possible, because God blessed me with the ability to throw a baseball.” – Curt Schilling
16. “I think baseball represents something closer to our experience. There’s no clock in baseball; it’s not over until it’s over. It’s like life in that there are prolonged periods of boredom and monotony, punctuated by intense moments of excitement and sometimes terror.” – Bennett Miller
17. “I didn’t understand anything about playing baseball. I started playing, and it was enjoyable. Most of my life, I played with older people on my team, in my league. I learned a lot about life. Every day in my life, I learned something new from somebody.” – Ernie Banks
18. “I’ve only read two books in my life: Baseball Sparkplug and Love Story.” – George Brett
19. “The beautiful thing about baseball is that anything can happen. It’s like life in that way. As soon as you think you have it all figured out, something happens that makes you realize – you know nothing. The only thing that’s guaranteed is that it will be an exciting ride.” – Alyssa Milano
20. “Baseball was a chapter in my life, and now I’m excited to start another chapter as a hitting coach.” – Mark McGwire