As the country tries to rebuild the economy after the outbreak of the pandemic, construction companies are needed to build homes, offices, schools, hospitals, warehouses, and retail malls.
It can be challenging to start a construction company because of costs, labor, and timelines. But it’s worth the effort because this is a lucrative business.
Your responsibilities include overseeing subcontractors, inspecting building materials, coordinating team schedules, monitoring expenses, scheduling meetings with stakeholders, and ordering supplies. They also include collaborating closely with architects and engineers to ensure everything runs smoothly.
Make Safety Your First Priority
When you start your business, you must prioritize two safety issues: how to protect your crew from workplace accidents, and how to safeguard your company from liability.
Keep Your Crew Safe
Fall protection is essential for construction workers. For instance, the United States had 5,333 construction site deaths in 2019. In many cases, these falls occurred because of improper use of safety equipment or insufficient protective gear. Despite a decline in fatalities since then, the numbers remain alarming. The lesson is clear: make providing protective gear a priority.
These are some of the most critical pieces of protective gear your crew needs to wear:
- Helmets: Head protection reduces head injuries by 88 percent.
- Footwear: Anyone working in construction needs the right footwear whether climbing ladders, walking on building sites, or doing any other job. Safety shoes for men safeguards their feet, ankles, toes, and shins, protecting them from electrical hazards and sharp objects, as well as slips, trips, and falls. Although made from tough materials, they are lightweight and breathable.
- Goggles: Construction workers need to shield their eyes from dust and dirt. Goggles come in many types, including plastic, safety, and welding goggles.
- Gloves: Workers should protect their hands since they are the most vulnerable to injuries
- Earplugs: Construction workers are particularly susceptible to noise-induced hearing loss because of cacophony throughout the day. High decibel sounds can create health issues, such as tinnitus, hypertension, and heart disease.
Protect Your Company from Liability
The following are four reasons why you should hire a lawyer when you’re working on a construction project
- An attorney will help you know your rights. They will help you understand your rights and responsibilities on construction projects.
- An attorney can check your contract. They will explain exactly how the law applies to your contract.
- An attorney will assist you if you disagree with a contract. They will represent you If your contract is unfair.
- An attorney will represent you if you have a dispute with subcontractors or suppliers. They will negotiate, arbitrate, or litigate if suppliers or subcontractors fail to deliver.
Decide on a Niche, Hire a Contractor, and Assemble a Team
Decide whether you want to focus on residential or commercial work. Residential construction projects include homes, apartments, and other living spaces, while commercial ones include malls, office buildings, restaurants, and hotels.
Your next step is to find a reputable general contractor. Choose someone with the right experience, who can do the job at a reasonable price, hire the best crew, and finish the project on time.
Here are four tips to find the most qualified contractor:
- Ask family and friends if they know anyone.
- Consult local businesses in your area.
- Find contractors who specialize in your field.
- Use online resources like Yelp, Google Maps, or Angie’s List to find reviews.
How to Manage Construction Projects Effectively
You can manage every aspect of your construction project with construction project management software. It will help you set the scope of work, create a budget, establish a schedule, develop a plan, and manage risks.
Now Is the Right Time
Investing your time and effort in a construction company can be lucrative. Construction workers are in high demand and getting contracts and funding for projects is easier than in other industries.